DFWpilots
Sign in to follow this  
waltm

Sedona, AZ (KSEZ)

Identifier : SEZ

Location : Sedona, Arizona (Yep - that's right - ARIZONA! Approx. 775 nm from Rockwall)

Runways : 3/21

CTAF....... : 123.00

FLYING IN :

Sedona, Arizona has to be one of the most beautiful fly in places (if not THE most beautiful fly-in place) in the U.S. The view, both from the ground and from the air, is absolutely breathtaking. According to the metaphysical folk, Sedona has at least five "gathering points" of metaphysical energy from where the Earth's magnetic lines converge. I don't know about that stuff (or particularly care, for that matter) but it IS a very calming place to be just because of its beauty.

When flying into Sedona, stay above 6500 MSL for noise abatement. The airport is built on a 500 ft. tall mesa and it makes for a very interesting "carrier style" landing. Set your altimeter and trust the VASI's or you'll come in high. Runway 21 has a downslope to it. My old AFD says that the procedure is to land on runway 3 and depart on 21. This has been recently changed (in case you haven't recycled your AFD lately), so use left traffic for both runways and always land into the wind.

Park your airplane at the FBO and walk across the ramp, down the little dirt path to the restaurant. You'll have to go through an airport gate. The access code is affixed to the fence on the airport side of the gate. Remember it or you won't be able to get back onto the airport grounds!

The restaurant has everything from sandwiches to seafood (the scallops and linguini is excellent!) and has both indoor and outdoor dining. The hamburgers are BIG and homemade.

This is Arizona and it can get really hot in the summer. There's quite a bit of indoor dining area, however, and I've never had to wait for a table. When the weather permits, sit outside. You'll find an eclectic mix of people enjoying the view as it is a very popular flyin destination for the California crowd. It's only a 45 minute flight from Phoenix and gets a lot of their breakfast/lunch crowd too. Somewhere in the Phoenix area is a "Dawn Patrol" flying club whose members fly mostly WWI Nieuport replicas. I've seen as many as four of them at the ramp during one of my visits. On my last visit (yesterday), there were four tables pushed together for a group from Japan (along with a number of California filmmakers) who were there to film a commercial for some Japanese company. If you're staying over, there are a number of good restaurants down the hill and into town.

Sedona is a great place to lay over. The Red Lodge Inn is situated just outside the FBO on the mesa. This is where I usually stay. The rooms have a view overlooking Cathedral Rock and part of the town and the landscaping must be seen to be believed. There are many other resorts and lodges in Sedona (in case the Red Lodge is filled) and I've never had a problem finding a room.

Fuel prices are competitive with todays skyrocketting AVGAS prices. Fuel was the AIRNAV.COM listed one at $3.39 a gallon.

This is the perfect place for that romantic getaway weekend. If you don't know how or don't like mountain flying, take a direct route from DFW (deviating for the restricted areas) and, except for crossing a small line of big hills south of Albequerque, you'll do no mountain flying at all until you get within 75 miles of Sedona. If you have an airplane that can cruise at 9,500 MSL you'll have no problems and will be able to fly safely over everything in your path.

An awesome weekend getaway or place to stop for lunch on a cross-country trip, Sedona is a MUST SEE.

Walt's Rating :

Food .......... : 7

Ambiance ... : 10

Rubbernecking Factor : 10+

Romance Factor : Off the scale - unless you're blind

More rock formations on takeoff.

post-18-1124900425.jpg

Less than an hour northeast of Sedona (about 70 miles) and near Winslow, Arizona is Meteor Crater.

post-18-1125002194.jpg

Or you can head about 100 miles north to the Grand Canyon. Here's a picture that I took on Sunday while we were flying the Zuni Point Corridor through the canyon. I'm looking west along the main portion of the Grand Canyon.

post-18-1125002375.jpg

I read in another forum that the restaurant in Sedona is closing in the Spring of 2006. If you want to get a great lunch with an uncomparable view, better do it soon.

Hopefully, someone will reopen it because it's one of my favorite places to stop.

Walt, have you ever thought about flying somewhere scenic?

Nice pictures...I'd love to see it from the air. Arizona is one place I've thought about moving to...I think I'd love it out there.

Guest jsteed

Gosh, I was in sedona this fall, and went for a ride in a Waco right there at the sedona airport. It was a beautiful flight, in a goregous plane. I bought the video of the flight too.... (I was SUCH a tourist) which doesn't do the place justice. It is absolutley beautiful there, we had a great time. If I find the photo of me and the plane, and sedona, I'll post em'. Walt, nice write-up.

Jordan

Wacos? What Wacos? I didn't see any Wacos while I was there... :D

post-18-1140216053.jpg

Never saw many airplanes at all, in fact...

post-18-1140216087.jpg

** UPDATE**

I had breakfast in Sedona this morning. The restaurant is STILL open and will be for a while. They were able to renegotiate their lease until September of 2009. You'll still be able to get a great meal in one of the most scenic airport restaurants in the continental U.S.

Because Texas was covered in rain and thunderstorms, I stayed overnight in Sedona. I had supper there for the first time - OUTSTANDING! We arrived at about 7:00pm to find that the restaurant had just recently had a complete remodel. It was packed with locals. Apparently, it's a popular place for more than just pilots flying in for breakfast. The dinner menu is varied and good. You can get king crab legs or steaks. I had a steak that was simply delicious.

It was an exceptionally clear day when we departed on Monday. I got some good pics. Here's what you see from the runnup area for runway 21.

post-25-1161287611.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this