DFWpilots
Sign in to follow this  
mparis

Has Anyone Had Any Cylinders Overhauled Lately?

We are just past TBO on our O-470R and after several hundred hours of near zero oil usage we are starting to have problems with a couple of our cylinders. We are thinking about doing a top overhaul. Rather than replace the cylinders, I'm thinking overhauling them might be a better option if we can save some money. We only need them to last 1000 hours or so till the bottom needs an overhaul.

So we're looking around for a good shop than can do this for us.

We are just past TBO on our O-470R and after several hundred hours of near zero oil usage we are starting to have problems with a couple of our cylinders. We are thinking about doing a top overhaul. Rather than replace the cylinders, I'm thinking overhauling them might be a better option if we can save some money. We only need them to last 1000 hours or so till the bottom needs an overhaul.

I would suggest just pulling the cylinders that are telling you its time to pull them and have them rebuilt at Sal's. Personally I don't see a reason to pull them all unless they are down on compression. We had 2 cylinders that had exhaust valves leaking due to valve guide play. One he rebuilt, the other had a crack that could not be repaired so we purchased a replacement from him that he had on the shelf. If I remember correctly they were around 400.00 to 450.00 a piece including the gasket set. They have about 50 hours on them now with no issues. We installed them ourselves. Be sure to use the no blow exhaust gaskets. He has those also. Very nice guy. FYI. Prosper is North of 380 North of Dallas.

Joe

http://www.yellowpages.com/prosper-tx/mip/...nders-462039495

I've had three cylinders pulled; one exchanged (#1-2005), and two R&R'd (#2-2006, #4-2009) by Sentry Aircraft Cylinders of Ft Worth. A card in my logbook has their number 1-800-433-7647. Would have done the same with #5 Nov 2011, but upon removal found the camshaft wear, so performed the full engine overhaul. To note, the first three were found with nickel trending high in oil analysis due to exhaust valve guide wear, the last was an intake valve leak found on compression check. As Joe says, I would only remove those that speak to you for removal, then look closely at the bottom end when open.

Louise

I've had three cylinders pulled; one exchanged (#1-2005), and two R&R'd (#2-2006, #4-2009) by Sentry Aircraft Cylinders of Ft Worth. A card in my logbook has their number 1-800-433-7647. Would have done the same with #5 Nov 2011, but upon removal found the camshaft wear, so performed the full engine overhaul. To note, the first three were found with nickel trending high in oil analysis due to exhaust valve guide wear, the last was an intake valve leak found on compression check. As Joe says, I would only remove those that speak to you for removal, then look closely at the bottom end when open.

Louise

We still haven't made up our mind on what we are going to do. One cylinder has low compression and the other is oil fouling plugs. We have two cylinders in the hagar which are rebuildable, so we may start with those and go from there. Four of our cylinders have almost 1600 hours on them.

Mike Busch says cylinders are accessories and should only be changed when their individual performance indicates a problem. Changing those that don't have problems is money out the window for no gain. Especially true for 470's that can literally run forever.

Couple guys in the hangar have used Sal with good results. I called him regarding an issue I thought I was having once and he gave me some pointers and some things to monitor before I started disassembling things. Has been in the business a long time.

Mike Busch says cylinders are accessories and should only be changed when their individual performance indicates a problem. Changing those that don't have problems is money out the window for no gain. Especially true for 470's that can literally run forever.

I agree with MB.I think his 310 has over 2400 hrs on his current engines.I have had 3 cyl OH and a few "old rope trick"valve jobs on valves that had bad carbon build up.Make sure the comp check is with the orifice thingy that TCM says to use.Oil is cheap,what is use,1 qt an hr or evry 20?.

we have a pipeliner that uses my AP and his 182 gets all new cyls at 2000 hrs and when it gets to 4000 hrs exchanges the engine.TBO is just a figment of imagination for a Part 91 plane.Bottom line is what do you do to make YOU feal safe.

As Joe says, I would only remove those that speak to you for removal, then look closely at the bottom end when open.

Ditto.

Robert

The arguments we are kicking around about doing a complete top overhaul is so we can pull all the jugs and check the bottom end out more thoroughly, and we're thinking that if two cylinders are going, the rest can't be too far behind (although I'm not fully convinced of this). We've had an oil analysis done on every other oil change since the engine was zero time and nothing unexpected has ever shown up. So I think the chances of us finding excessive wear on the bottom end are pretty remote.

You could take off jugs that are working flawlessly and replace them with problem jugs. It's been known to happen.

Another vote for Sal. Heck of a nice guy, run down shop but his workmanship is top notch. I have three of his jugs on the plane, and they are working perfect.

The arguments we are kicking around about doing a complete top overhaul is so we can pull all the jugs and check the bottom end out more thoroughly, and we're thinking that if two cylinders are going, the rest can't be too far behind (although I'm not fully convinced of this). We've had an oil analysis done on every other oil change since the engine was zero time and nothing unexpected has ever shown up. So I think the chances of us finding excessive wear on the bottom end are pretty remote.

So what did you end up doing to the engine?

Joe

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this