DFWpilots
Sign in to follow this  
texashikergal02

4 Killed In Single Engine Plane Crash

I'm wondering if 'get-it-there-itis' will be found as a contributing cause. Sad story, the father of the pilot lost all of his children, AND grandchildren in the crash.

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/2147045...ico-plane-crash

Some of the family were from Marshall where I went to school. Pilots last facebook entry was this past Thursday. "Just updated my logbook and am happy to report I've crossed a milestone - 510.9 hours total time. Looking forward to the next 500!

4 on board, imagine bags too. Close to 9000ft density altitude with 55 mph crosswinds in a Mooney!

what was he thinking?Thats one of the most dangerous AP's due to terrain/DA issues in the western states per folks I know who fly in/out of there.My understanding is that Mooney was not turbo-charged so way low on power at that DA.

I have no problem flying into AngelFire alone or with one other in the plane. Not a chance in H-E-Double toothpicks that I'll do it packed down with a lot of ski gear and a full airplane - even in winter. Soooo much easier to just fly into Taos. Someone lost their life, and took others with him, to save 35 minutes of driving through the pass.

The Mooney world is talking about this one. The plane was likely at gross weight, could have been over, but loading at gross would have been possible.

I've thought about trying to fly to Angel Fire in my J model and I've decided that Taos, or even Las Vegas, NM were much better alternatives for me.

Ouch! Density altitude problems, at or over gross weight and heavy crosswinds. We may never know, but I'll bet that he was on the edge of a stall, caught a gust of wind that lifted his wing and then spun into the ground. I wonder if there's ever been a category for "wind assisted spin"...

Ouch! Density altitude problems, at or over gross weight and heavy crosswinds. We may never know, but I'll bet that he was on the edge of a stall, caught a gust of wind that lifted his wing and then spun into the ground. I wonder if there's ever been a category for "wind assisted spin"...

What is that , bout 56mph wind! I rotate at 60mph no flaps! Full flap stall is somewhere around 40mph! Although he was not directly into the wind! Was just comparing speeds! Yikes!

He had virtually no headwind component!

Naaah, Joe. That's not what I meant. As you recall, stall speed goes up as bank angle increases. The accident pilot was probably very close to stalling when he departed AngelFire. When that gust of wind hit him from the side and pushed his right wing up, I'm guessing that it was enough to push the aircraft past the stall speed for the bank angle and he went into a spin and hit the ground.

Naaah, Joe. That's not what I meant. As you recall, stall speed goes up as bank angle increases. The accident pilot was probably very close to stalling when he departed AngelFire. When that gust of wind hit him from the side and pushed his right wing up, I'm guessing that it was enough to push the aircraft past the stall speed for the bank angle and he went into a spin and hit the ground.

Got ya! Sounds exactly what happened!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this