So I've always been into aviation. Been working on and off for about a year to get my Private Pilot's certification but had to stop at the beginning of the year. Decided I wanted to pick up an Ultralight so I could fly on my own when I wanted and for the most part where I wanted with some restrictions. Not to mention it lets you fly without the constant oversight and permission of "Big Brother".

Anyone here fly ultralights?

Picked up the Hy-Tec Hurricane over the weekend. Here's some vids and pics.

Video compilation of the first day I had it doing familiarization flights on a dry lake bed (El Mirage Dry Lake).

After first few landings

About 1500 feet AGL looking down on the landing area. You can barely make out the truck and another ultralight on the lake bed.

On the truck ready to come back to San Diego

After getting the wings back on and putting it in it's new hangar

The day after getting the wings on a buddy of mine and I went up and he got some arieal video of me. It was a flight with a member of the SDUA to get familiar with the area around the field. Saw a few dual sports on some dirt roads around otay lakes road.

Then a little video from last night doing a late evening sunset flight.

Here are some pictures from today flying with Matt and his T-Bird.

Some fires going on. Weirdly no TFRs were issued on this as far as we can tell but the Helo and Fire Tankers were pounding it hard. Lots of traffic in and out of the area. We kept our distance, kept scanning and announcing our position. Also made sure my strobes were kicked on.

My buddies T-Bird

Looking towards downtown San Diego and the coast. You can't really see it in this picture but I could see it with my own eyes.

I have a Phantom X1 single seater and a Powrachute Pegasus Powered Parachute. They ARE a lot of fun to fly.

Not sure if I posted on this forum or not when I moved but I got orders to San Diego late last year and executed those orders in March of this year.

I'm operating off of Nichols Field (0CL3) just east of San Diego before you cross over the hill/mountains and get into the desert.

Phantom is pretty much the same plane. IIRC they use a side stick instead of a center stick right? And i think the X1 is strut braced instead of wire braced.

I love flying it. And it's got better climb performance than the C150/152s I flew for training. Though obviously much slower in cruise flight. Hell the thing is ever rated in normal use for +6/-4 Gs.

Everything about your plane looks exactly like my Phantom. Mine is wire braced. I traded a Corvette for it. Low-time Rotax 503 engine. I added a 10 gallon tank and the rudder trim kit. They look so much alike that I'll bet that they could even share parts.

Since Hy-Tek is out of business that is how some Hurricane owners get their parts. Even the sails are interchangeable.

The Phantom is the original, the copies were the Hurricane, the Bell Sidewinder, and at least one other. Just minor changes here and there on them.

The 503 in this bird has right at 160 hours on it now. I actually like it. I thought I was going to have problems with a 2 stroke motor.

I would really love to throw a HKS700 on there but that would put it over the weight limit.

The Flabob Flying Circus-

Had a lot of fun there Saturday. There were two Trikes there when we showed up around 11AM but they took off as soon as we had parked on the ramp. Other than the Trikes we appeared to be the only Ultralights there. The little planes were real popular. Matt and I probably spent more time talking about our birds than out walking around looking at other people's birds.

Total round trip time was about 4.8 hours on the Hobbs meter. And wayyyyy too much fuel burned.

One thing I really liked about this event was they were welcoming to EVERYONE. We had e-mailed to make sure up front that Ultralights were welcome to the event. They not only invited us in they encourage even insisted we make the fly-in. Big thanks to Ambar Mote for the invite and the welcoming upon our arrival. And to all the ramp workers and young volunteers from the (jr?)ROTC there directing ramp traffic and getting everyone parking spots.

At Hemet-Ryan getting fuel. CDF sent out a OV-10 Bronco two tankers and a UH-1 while we were there fueling up.

Gotta love the sound of a big radial.

The Flabob Express

A recently completed full restoration

More pictures and hopefully video coming soon.

I drove a Backyard flyer once and I loved it. Has a four stroke engine, you may want to contact Culver props and see if they will make a mount for the Hurricane. Glad to see you have a silk afterburner just in case.

Walt, you may want to take that comment about the fuel tank off your UL post. Jus sayin'.

My "large" 5 gallon tank isn't a problem... :anon:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.