DFWpilots
Sign in to follow this  
SixPapaCharlie

How / Where Do You Clean Your Planes?

I am in a T Hanger so frequently wiping Dust off but I want to give the plane a good scrubbing.

I bought some Tokens at Spinks that I was going to use. They have a plane wash there I was going to check out but haven't had a chance yet.

But other than that how do most of you go about really cleaning your planes?

Just elbow grease and a rag?

I sewed old bed sheets together to make a simple cover for the wings. I also used a California duster to get the rest of the dust off. Dusting is easier and quicker than washing the whole dang airplane. Wiping bugs off the leading edges of the wings and tail feathers took care of the rest.

Well, except for the oil on the belly...

I sewed old bed sheets together to make a simple cover for the wings. I also used a California duster to get the rest of the dust off. Dusting is easier and quicker than washing the whole dang airplane. Wiping bugs off the leading edges of the wings and tail feathers took care of the rest.

Well, except for the oil on the belly...

Oil on the belly is the main thing

That and I don't feel like climbing all over the thing or walking a ladder around to get to the tall parts.

I like the wing cover idea

Oil on the belly is the main thing

That and I don't feel like climbing all over the thing or walking a ladder around to get to the tall parts.

I like the wing cover idea

We just call the plane washing people and split bill 4 ways. I think it about 80-90 bucks. Cleaned inside and out. I can get their number for ya but don't know if they come out that far. We do wipe cowl, leading edges and windshield after every flight too

Joe

Ditto what Joe said - I just call the plane wash people. I think it costs me something like $250 to wash my Comanche.

What is everyone using to clean off the splattered bugs?

We wipe down leading edges after every flight. Just use water and a Mitt and wipe them of. No cleaner. Not sure what's best if they have been there awhile.

Joe

I use Goop (found in the aviation section of Walmart) to grease the bugs up. I apply it to all the leading edges, by the time I get around to where I started, it's time to remove the stuff with some shop towels, and the bugs slide off. (work on much smaller sections when the temps get hot).

For dust and such, I also like the California duster.

I use Goop (found in the aviation section of Walmart) to grease the bugs up.

Wow! WalMart really DOES have everything. An aviation section, even...

Free wash bay with hose at KWEA. Just south of the fuel island. 2 years ago I found a wash bay at Winnsboro when I stopped for mogas. I use Simple Green product that is safe for aluminum. It's got a PH designed for aluminum and it rinses off clear. On the tough stuff leading edge and cowl bugs I use real hot water and a microfiber towel.

The old timers I've talked to like to use lemon Pledge on their fabric planes, not only does it keep it clean and help the bug guts fall off but it smells good too. ;)

Tip: Don't operate off of a grass strip when the grasshoppers are swarming in June.

It took Don and I an hour after we returned to the hangar from that trip to clean all the bug goo off of the Bonanza

The old timers I've talked to like to use lemon Pledge on their fabric planes, not only does it keep it clean and help the bug guts fall off but it smells good too.

I do that, as well, after the Goop and wash bay routine. Makes for nice shiny metal surfaces, too.

The old timers I've talked to like to use lemon Pledge on their fabric planes, not only does it keep it clean and help the bug guts fall off but it smells good too. ;)

When I used to ride, Lemon Pledge was what I used to clean the windshield. Safe for plexiglass, and the wax makes bugs easier to clean off next time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this