DFWpilots
Jeremy1592

UFQ In-ear Headset

Does anyone have experience with this headset? I'm looking for an in-ear option - can't stand the Bose the company provides - Just looking for thoughts on this particular head-set. It's cheaper, but I've never had an in-ear so I want to give it an initial trial before I spend the 700-1000 for a name brand set. 

I fly Beechjet 400 which is fairly quiet in the cock-pit. The need for ANR is not that great. 

UFQ.jpg

No direct hands-on with this one, but it's half of the cost of the bottom end Aloft when it's on sale.

Two ears, and the nubs look to be pretty standard earbud nubs, if those work for you.  (doesn't for me, but I have weird ear holes.)

It hangs off the ear, and some people say that helps it not cause headaches vs the side compression from the Aloft.

At $230, it might be worth trying it, even if you had to pay restocking fees on a return.

https://www.amazon.com/UFQ-aviation-headset-Super-Weight/dp/B01D2P2ESU 

Sorry if this is all stuff you already found on your own.  I was just excited.  If I were in the cockpit right now, I'd probably pick up a set of these to try.

So, I bought the headset and have worn it for approximately 30 flights. 

So far, so good. 

The in-ear part of the headset is comfortable and doesn’t seem to bother me physically or audibly. It is comfortable on long flights (so far the longest was 3.2 hours in the air). 

The noise reduction is slightly less than the Bose with the “on/off” mode, but because this option blocks the ear completely, it really does pretty well. I have adapted to the new level of sound and it isn't a bother at all. 

Once I got used to the new type of headset and having the bar around the back of my head, my only issue is the front of the headset digs into the skin slightly just in front of my ear. When I get home next week I am going to try bending those out slightly with pliers and that will likely fix that issue.

Overall, I give this headset an A- rating. For me, the Bose A20 was a B- due to the headache I got nearly every day from the tension of squeezing my head. These are definitely an improvement. 

Thanks for the pirep.  I'm in the market for something cheaper that will work for quieter cockpits.  The lack of reviews seems disconcerting, but the price is right.  If nothing else it will make for a good backup rather than having to carry around another skull crusher.

OK, so I received the headset today.  Shipping was 2 days via Amazon prime.  My first impression is quite good.  I was expecting something on the cheap and flimsy side, but it looks to be pretty well made.  How well you like these is going to largely depend on how well they fit your ears.  In my case they fit very well.  Passive noise reduction is better than expected.  I might try these in the Skylane just to see how they compare to my Bose.  They come with a pretty nice carrying case and a good cable to connect to a cell phone.  I did make a call with them and it worked pretty well, but there was no sidetone back into the headset.  This may be because I didn't have it connected to an aircraft, so there was no power back to the module.  Not a big deal if there's no sidetone on a cell phone call anyway, but it would be nice if that works.  I rather like the way they wrap around your ears and the back of your head.  They are snug and secure, but would not interfere much if you wanted to wear a hat and they played well with my eyeglasses.

I have a simulator session scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll try them out to "virtually" see how well they will perform in a jet.

We may have to hit the manufacturer up for referral bonuses! Let us know how you like them. I’m interested to try them in a single piston as I too agree, the noise reduction is better than expected!

I tried it out in the sim today.  Performance was pretty good, actually perhaps too good for the sim anyway because I could hear everything on the intercom quite well, but everything else was considerably attenuated.  About the only negative I found was when I leaned my head back against the rest it contacted the part that wraps around your head and started moving it around.  The ear pieces remained in place so it wasn't all that bad, but will take some getting used to.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.